Atomic Structure of Ultrathin Gold Nanowires
(a) Schematic illustration for the synthesis of ultrathin Au nanowires. (b) Low magnification TEM image and (c) Aberration-corrected HRTEM image. (d) Enlarged image of the boxed region in (c), with corresponding (e) simulated image and (f) structure model.
Revealed the atomic structure, defect, strain, and surface characters of ultrathin Au nanowires.
Significance and Impact
A comprehensive understanding of the atomic-scale structure-property relationship of ultrathin metal nanowires is critical for their applications in nanotechnologies.
- Ultrathin Au nanowires were efficiently synthesized via a silane-mediated approach.
- Exhibit an atomic wavy surface and contain large amounts of stacking fault defects .
- Instability of the nanowires is governed by strain effect.
- HR-TEM imaging of surface ligands was possible with well controlled dose-rates and reduced background noise.
- Coalescence dynamic is directly observed at the atomic level.