- Research in the Yaghi group has demonstrated breakthrough technology capable of generating liters of water out of dry air using the power of the sun.
- A team led by Ali Javey of the Materials Sciences Division has created a transistor with a working 1-nanometer gate
- Research within MSD’s Ultrafast Materials Science program has revealed surprising new spin-polarized unoccupied surface resonance states (USR) in Bi2Se3 through real time mapping of the formation of topologically protected surface states (TSS).
- Research within MSD’s Sub-wavelength Metamaterial Design, Physics & Application program has demonstrated lasing and anti-lasing at the same frequency in a single device
- Recent work in MSD's Quantum Materials program was featured on the DOE website.
Giant second-harmonic generation in Weyl semimetals
The Quantum Materials program at MSD has discovered that the Weyl semimetals TaAs, NbAs, and TaP have the largest nonlinear optical response of any known crystal.