Events and Career Resources
- Postdoc Associations
- Grants & Fellowships
- Positions Available
- Career Resources Websites
- Bay Area Networking Opportunities
- Conferences & Meetings
- Local Seminars
- Events Calendar-ECSS Events
Lots of useful information is available from Postdoc Associations on the web; the website from UC Berkeley's association is particularly valuable.
- Berkeley Lab Postdoc Web Page
- UC Berkeley Postdoctoral Association
- UCSF Postdoc Association
- UCLA Society of Postdoctoral Scholars
- UC San Diego Postdocdoctoral Association
- Stanford University Postdoctoral Association
Many sources of funding are listed on Grantsnet.org. Other useful resources include:
- American Cancer Society
- American Institute for Cancer Research
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund
- California Breast Cancer Research Program
- Prevention Cancer Foundation
- Department of Defense
- Department of Energy - Office of Science
- Fulbright Scholar Program
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Human Frontier Science Program
- International Agency for Research on Cancer (World Health Organization)
- Union for International Cancer Control
- National Institutes of Health
- National Science Foundation
- Pew Latin American Fellows Program
- Susan G. Komen (Breast Cancer Foundation)
- The Wellcome Trust
Anyone interested in a position at Berkeley Lab is encouraged to find out more about the individual laboratories in the Life Sciences Division and contact the laboratory's Principal Investigator directly. The current pay-scales for postdocs in all divisions (including Life Sciences) are listed here. Useful resources for finding positions outside of Berkeley Lab:
Also, Berkeley Lab Learning Institute sponsors a Position Announcements Website. This site is a resource for postdocs and graduate student research assistants who work at Berkeley Lab and are looking for scientific positions at organizations outside of the Laboratory. Divisions periodically post position announcements they receive from universities, other national laboratories, and industry on this site. It also includes links to position listings at a variety of institutions.
The following websites feature articles, interactive resources, and links to additional sources of information.
- Science Careers: thousands of articles and additional career planning resources.
- Individual Development Plan
- Nature Careers
- UCSF Office of Career and Professional Development
- UC Berkeley Career Center Resources for Graduate Students, PhDs and Postdocs
The following organizations are active in the Bay Area and organize many seminars and networking opportunities.
- Association for Women in Science, San Francisco Chapter
- BioScience Forum
- Chinese-American Biopharmaceutical Society
- Chinese Bioscience Association
- Postdoc Industry Exploration Program
- Women in Biology, San Francisco Chapter
Perhaps the best resources for finding a place to spend your hard-earned Fellowship travel budget:
One of the benefits of working at Berkeley Lab is the exposure to the rich surrounding scientific community.
- Life Sciences Division Seminars
- UC Berkeley Molecular and Cell Biology Seminars
- UCSF Seminars and Events
Check out the ECSS events posted on the Life Sciences Division Events Calendar.