The Early Career Scientists Society (ECSS) provides an environment that fosters career and personal development for early career scientists at Berkeley Lab. Events and activities are organized by the ECSS Committee. We:
- are the liaison between the early career scientists and Life Sciences Division management, and represent members in Life Sciences Division Operations Council meetings;
- organize monthly research seminars presented by fellow early career scientists;
- tally votes from the research seminars’ audience to select outstanding presentations twice per year, and present award certificates to those distinguished speakers;
- organize monthly technical seminars highlighting useful technologies of private research industry;
- host Life Sciences Division Seminars presented by distinguished scholars;
- organize career and personal development seminars;
- plan social and educational events including an annual summer picnic.
Our events are posted on the Life Sciences Division Events Calendar.
We welcome you to join the ECSS Committee. Most importantly, by joining you have a chance to:
- be involved in the Division and Berkeley Lab beyond conducting individual science research;
- get experience in planning and organizing meetings and seminars;
- interact with scientists and Division management;
- interact with peers from the various departments, Berkeley Lab, academic institutions and industry.
And hopefully have fun doing so!
If you are interested in getting involved, please contact ECSS President Deepa Sridharan.
ECSS Seminar Series 2014-2015
Some of our regular events are the ECSS Seminar Series, held in room 141 at 717 Potter Street. These seminars, as well as other ECSS events, are listed on the Life Sciences Division Events Calendar.
Monthly ECSS research seminars, held on the first Wednesday of each month from noon to 1 p.m., showcase the ongoing work of graduate students and post doctorate researchers who volunteer to talk. This is an excellent opportunity to practice public speaking in a casual environment, and gain helpful advice from other researchers at Berkeley Lab.
The seminar series is also home to company-sponsored technical seminars, in which biotech companies come to present a diverse portfolio of new technologies and products that they offer. These technical seminars, held on the third Wednesday of each month from noon to 1 p.m., double as a forum to discuss experimental approaches and strategies.
If you are interested in presenting, or if you have speaker suggestions, please contact Rosalyn Sayaman.
lsd-ecss "at sign" lists.lbl.gov is a mailing list to which all Berkeley Lab early career scientists can subscribe to receive updates on early career scientist-related issues and events, and also for you to send messages to all other members with announcements or requests for help or reagents. To be added to our mailing list, contact ECSS President Deepa Sridharan.
ECSS Committee Members
Career Development Coordinator