Following are some links related to breast cancer awareness and research.
ORGANIZATIONS THAT SPONSOR RESEARCH AT LBNL:
- American Cancer Society
- Mission Statement: "The American Cancer Society is the nationwide
community -based voluntary health organization dedicated to eliminating
cancer as a major health problem by preventing cancer, saving lives
and diminishing suffering from cancer, through research, education,
advocacy, and service."
They also have a site dedicated specifically
to breast cancer.
Purpose: "The aim of the Society's research program is to determine
the causes of cancer and to support efforts to prevent and cure
cancer. The American Cancer Society is the largest source of private,
not-for-profit cancer research funds in the United States, second
only to the United States government in total dollars spent."
- California Breast Cancer
- Mission Statement: "To reduce the impact of breast cancer in California
by supporting research on breast cancer and facilitating the dissemination
of research findings and their translation into public health practice."
- Susan J. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation
- Mission Statement: "To eradicate breast cancer as a life-threatening
disease by advancing research, education, screening and treatment."
One goal of the local affiliate, the SF
Bay Chapter is "to eradicate breast cancer through funding innovative
programs for breast healthcare and breast cancer in the Bay Area."
Research: Komen offers research funding opportunities at both
the national and local
- National Cancer Institute, National
Institutes of Health
- Funding information can be found online at the NCI
funding page, with further general funding found under the NIH
extramural grants page.
- U.S. Department of Defense
Breast Cancer Research Program
- Mission Statement: "Foster new directions, address neglected issues,
and bring new investigators into the field" of breast cancer research."
applications can be obtained on-line.
SAN FRANCISCO AREA ORGANIZATIONS:
- Bay Area Breast Cancer Network
- Their mission is "to increase awareness about breast health and breast cancer, provide information and support services to women, and positively effect public policy at the State and Federal level. "
- Women's Cancer Resource Center of Berkeley, CA
- Founded in 1986. Mission Statement: "To empower women with cancer to be active and informed consumers and survivors; to provide community for women with cancer and their supporters; to educate the general community about cancer; and to be actively involved in the struggle for a life-affirming, cancer-free society."
- Breast Cancer Action
- Founded in 1990. Mission Statement: " Breast Cancer Action carries the voices of people affected by breast cancer to inspire and compel the changes necessary to end the breast cancer epidemic. "
- Living Beyond Breast Cancer
- Founded in 1992. Mission Statement: "To empower all women affected by breast cancer to live as long as possible with the best quality of life."
- Y-ME National Breast Cancer Organization
- "Y-ME National Breast Cancer Organization has a commitment to provide information and support to anyone who has been touched by breast cancer. Y-ME was founded by two breast cancer patients in 1978, when they realized that their needs for information and support could best be met by women who had also experienced breast cancer. "
OTHER USEFUL LINKS:
- Cancer Net: Breast Cancer
- Run by the National Cancer Institute (see Research Sponsors above), this site provides extensive on-line links grouped by categories including "overview," "clinical trials," "statistics," "research literature," and several others.
- drkoop.com's Breast Cancer Center
- Useful information on numerous breast cancer related topics, such as prevention, detection, clinical findings, and community support. Easy access to recent breast cancer related articles.
- "Health Allies.com acts as a personal patient advocate for women living with breast cancer by helping them understand, manage and reduce their medical bills."
This page was last updated May 27, 2000.
If any links are outdated, pleaselet