Quick Start Guide
Chapter 28: Forklifts and Other Powered Industrial Trucks
Revision Record: http://www.lbl.gov/ehs/pub3000/Pub3000Changes.html
Who needs to know about these requirements?
The Requirements of the Forklifts and Other Powered Industrial Trucks Program apply to:
- Berkeley Lab employees, construction and nonconstruction contractors, vendors and affiliates
Whenever they are:
- Operating a powered industrial truck
Noncompliance with powered industrial truck requirements can lead to:
- Injury to personnel, including fatalities
- Damage to expensive research equipment, buildings, building components, or the PIT itself
- Additional costs due to delays
What you need to do before performing work:
- Define work/protocols.
- Analyze hazards. Perform risk-assessment.
- Inspect and document (pre-use) PIT.
- Inspect attachments, rigging, and securing equipment.
- Determine whether the move is high consequence/high value (impact on research or operations is >$500,000).
- Determine the safest path of travel.
- Develop Controls.
- PIT use is authorized by the PIT manager.
- Ensure operator is properly qualified for the specific PIT being used.
- Verify PIT and attachment load rating; load most not exceed the PIT/attachment rated capacity.
- Develop an Engineering Note for review and signatures by required reviewers for all high-consequence/high-value lifts.
- Contact the LBNL riggers for difficult (heavy or awkward) loads.
Where to find out more:
Berkeley Lab Health and Safety Manual (PUB-3000), Chapter 28, Forklifts and Other Powered Industrial Trucks
Whom to contact for help:
For assistance with PITs, Berkeley Lab employees, construction and nonconstruction subcontractors, vendors, and affiliates should contact the LBNL PIT Safety Subject Matter Expert at ext. 7512