Quick Start Guide
Chapter 27: Cranes, Hoists, and Rigging Safety
Revision Record: http://www.lbl.gov/ehs/pub3000/Pub3000Changes.html
Who needs to know about these requirements?
The requirements of the Cranes, Hoisting, and Rigging Program apply to:
- Berkeley Lab employees, construction contractors, and nonconstruction subcontractors, vendors, and guests
Whenever they are:
- Working with or near any crane or hoisting equipment
Noncompliance with cranes, hoisting, and/or rigging requirements can lead to:
- Injury to personnel, including fatalities
- Damage to expensive research equipment, buildings, building components, or the crane/hoist itself
- Additional costs due to delays
What you need to do before performing work:
- Define work/protocols.
- Analyze hazards. Perform risk-assessment.
- Crane use is authorized by the crane manager.
- Ensure operator is properly qualified for the specific crane being used.
- Verify rigging load capacity; load must not exceed the rigging capacity.
- Develop an Engineering Note for review and signatures by required reviewers for all high-consequence/high-value lifts.
- Contact the LBNL riggers for loads >10,000 lbs., or when loads need to be tilted.
Where to find out more:
Whom to contact for help: