Quick Start Guide
Chapter 16: Laser Safety
Program: Safe Use of Lasers
Revision Record: http://www.lbl.gov/ehs/pub3000/Pub3000Changes.html
Who needs to know about these requirements?
The requirements for the use of Class 3B and Class 4 lasers apply to
Berkeley Lab employees, affiliates, visitors, and subcontractors who:
- Intend to use Class 3B or Class 4 lasers or laser systems
- Perform service or open beam alignment on Class 1 products containing a Class 3B or Class 4 laser
Unsafe handling of lasers may result in:
- Eye or skin injuries to individuals
- Damage to equipment
- Programmatic work suspensions
What you need to do before performing work:
- Define work/protocols.
- Analyze hazards. Perform risk assessment.
Where to find out more:
Whom to contact for help:
- For assistance with laser-safety applications and controls, LBNL staff and affiliates should contact:
Greta Toncheva, LSO: 510-495-2544 (Desk) and
Robert Fairchild, Deputy LSO: 510-495-2278 (Desk) and 510-926-2051
- For assistance with laser interlock system repairs: LBNL staff who own laser room access systems must contact the Facilities Division (Electrical Shop) at 510-486-5262.