OBSOLETE - FOR ARCHIVE AND HISTORICAL PURPOSES ONLY
his Work Smart Standards Project (formerly known as the Necessary & Sufficient Closure Process) is a DOE initiative to identify the set of standards that address the specific ES&H hazards at Berkeley Lab. The set will include standards necessary by law and standards sufficient to assure adequate protection of the safety and health of the employees, the public, and the environment. The final set of standards for Berkeley Lab will replace the ES&H directives that are currently in Appendix G of Contract 98.
Berkeley Lab's project is led by Ben Feinberg, Head of Operations at the Advanced Light Source, and includes Berkeley Lab and DOE employees.
CURRENT WORK SMART STANDARDS SET
The Work Smart Standards (WSS) Set is a component of Appendix G of the current contract between the University of California and DOE for operation of Berkeley Lab. The WSS Set is revised periodically to reflect changes in EH&S standards and Directives applicable to work at Berkeley Lab. Revisions to the WSS Set, and therefore the operating contract, are immediately reflected on the web-based copy of Appendix G to the contract.
BERKELEY LAB INFORMATION
- Overview of Work Smart Standards Project at Berkeley Lab (5/31/96 Kick-off)
- Legal Documents
Note: To view the following document you will need the Acrobat Reader. This is available for downloading free of charge at the following Web site:
- Berkeley Lab Pres entation to Stakeholders, 7/31/96
- Stakeholders' Reading Room
RELATED WEB SITES
- DOE/HQ Standards Program -- the Department Standards Committee (DCS) Home Page -- which includes DOE involvement with N&S, N&S reference documents such as sources of Standards information, a catalog of public documents, and N&S training materials. In addition, Stakeholder information is available. Also under the DSC website, Berkeley Lab has opened a "Caucus Room," which is maintained by the DSC under "Communication Forums" so that you may discuss N&S issues.
- Work Smart Standards (WSS) Set
- N&S Pilot Projects
- NTLF Pilot Final Report
- Fermi N&S Final Report
- UC/Tri-Lab ES&H Home Page and their N&S Bulletin Board -- read / send comments
Note: DOE "Standards" include CFR (U.S. Code of Federal Regulations); DOE's Policies, Orders, Guidance and Implementation documents; and Technical Standards. Some of these sites are available by subscription only to LBNL, UC and DOE users.
- U. S. Public Laws
- Code of Federal Regulations (CFR)
- Federal Acquisition Regulations
- DOE Acquisition Regulations (DEARs) (in 48 CFR, any of the links in the 900-999 range are the DEARs)
- California State Regulations
- DOE Directives
- DOE Standards
DOE DIRECTIVES ON NECESSARY AND SUFFICIENT
- Policy -- DOE O 450.3
- Notice -- DOE O 450.3
- Order -- DOE O 450.3
- Manual -- DOE O 450.3 (Contains links to Berkeley Lab Closure Process)