[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory masthead A-Z Index Berkeley Lab masthead U.S. Department of Energy logo Phone Book Jobs Search
[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: My school doesn't end in time for the start date. Can I start late?

A: We have a "late start" date for teams who can't start on the first day of the program for academic reasons. This later date is only for teams whose school's term ends later than the beginning of the program.
Q: Can a VFP student participate if graduating in May/June of this year?
A: No, VFP teams are designed to have an impact on their home campuses once the summer has ended.
Q: Can students participate in VFP more than once?
A: Yes, they may participate after their sophomore and junior years.
Q: Do I have to send official transcripts, or can I send unofficial transcripts?
A: Once you have been offered an internship, you must send official transcripts. Be sure to have transcripts mailed from all colleges attended to:
Workforce Development & Education
One Cyclotron Road
MS:  7R0222
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720
ATTN:  VFP Transcripts
Q: I don't have health insurance. Can I participate if I get health insurance by the start of the program?
A: Yes. You must have current health insurance coverage while participating in the program.

Q: When do we get paid?

A: For those who are getting their support from Berkeley Lab please refer to your confirmation letter.

B: For those receiving external funding, please contact the Program Manager at your home institution.

Q: Can I get my housing supplement in advance of my arrival so I can put a deposit on my housing?

A: No

Q: Can we get direct deposit?

A: No

Q: Is there a dress code?

A: The Lab is a fairly casual atmosphere; often jeans are the norm. Lab geography dictates that you wear comfortable shoes (it's a bit "hilly"). If you are working in a lab you will, of course, dress appropriately: long pants, closed-toe shoes, etc. You can contact your mentor for suggestions specific to your work site. There is one public event (a poster session) for which you may wish to 'dress up' a bit.

Q: Do I have to pay taxes on the educational stipend I receive while participating in a Workforce Development & Education internship?

A: LBNL does not issue W2 or 1099 forms for Workforce Development & Education participants. LBNL is not allowed to give tax advice, please consult a tax professional.

Q: I am a Permanent Resident of the United States. Am I required to provide documentation?

A: Yes, if accepted into the program, you will be required to provide a copy of your Permanent Resident status during badging.

Q: Can I miss a couple of days during the program for vacation?

A: No, participants are required to attend the entire program and not take any time off.

Q: How do I acknowledge DOE and the VFP program in presentations and publications?

A: When acknowledging WDTS support, please use the following statement - "This work was supported in part by the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Science, Office of Workforce Development for Teachers and Scientists (WDTS) under the Visiting Faculty Program (VFP)."

Q.  I need a letter of recommendation, can Workforce Development & Education staff write one for me?

A.  It is Workforce Development & Education policy, that letters of recommendation are to be written by the mentor or associate mentor, not Workforce Development & Education staff.

Q: Am I allowed to drive and park onsite?

A: On the first day of the program, all participants will have access to the Lab's shuttle service.  Find out more information on LBNL Bus Services/Lab Shuttle.

If you are driving to the Lab on your first day (VFP Faculty and IISME only), Workforce Development & Education will email a gate pass to your LBNL email address. Please show this document along with valid identification to the officer at the gate for entry to the Lab. Please refer to Badge Instructions/Site Access letter for instructions on acquiring a parking permit.

For more information, contact VFP@lbl.gov