Mickey Leland Energy Fellowship (MLEF)
The Mickey Leland Energy Fellowship (MLEF), sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy's Office of Fossil Energy, is a 10-week summer internship program that provides opportunities to students who are pursuing degrees in science, technology (IT), engineering, or mathematics (STEM majors). The goal of the program is to improve opportunities for minority and female students in these fields, but all eligible candidates are encouraged to apply. Candidates who are selected will have the opportunity to work under the mentorship of program officials and researchers on focused research projects consistent with the mission of the Office of Fossil Energy.
Visit the Mickey Leland Energy Fellowship (MLEF) website to find out more about MLEF.
- Undergraduates - $600/wk (10 weeks) Stipend $6,000
- Graduate Students (Masters) - $750/wk (10 weeks) Stipend$7,500
- Doctoral and Post-Doctoral Students - $850/wk (10 weeks) Stipend $8,500
- Approved travel to the Technical Forum presentations and graduation
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Be a U.S. Citizen;
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0;
- Be currently enrolled full-time in an accredited college or university (sophomore year or higher); and
- Participate in the full 10-week program
- Must have current health insurance while participating in the program.
- Workforce Development & Education interns are not allowed to take classes while participating in the program.
Please note: it is Workforce Development & Education policy that interns of Lab relatives may not be placed in same division as Lab relative.
Key Dates Summer
- Program Dates:
5 Jun - 4 Aug 2017
- Applications Open:
18 October 2016
- Applications Due:
6 January 2017
- All offers and notifications complete: 25 March 2017
- Complete the full ten week program (approx. 40 hrs/wk), with no time off from start to finish (excluding weekends and Lab holidays)
- Complete entrance and exit surveys
- Make a poster presentation and submit a 6-8 page research project report on the outcome of MLEF related research activities.
- Attend all scheduled events including lectures, tours and group activities.
- Attend MLEF Technical Forum
- Complete all LBNL safety and procedural requirements
- Must behave in a responsible and professional manner
- When acknowledging MLEF support, please use the following statement - "This work was supported in part by the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Fossil Energy, under the Mickey Leland Energy Fellowship (MLEF) program.
- Workforce Development & Education interns can not take classes (including online) while participating in the program.