IISME (Industry Initiatives for Science and Mathematics Education)
Berkeley Lab partners with Industry Initiatives for Science and Mathematics Education (IISME) to provide summer science research experiences for teachers. IISME is a one summer program with the possibility of a repeat appointment.
- $900/week stipend
- $1000 Academic year grant
For more information, see IISME website
Bay Area high school science teachers who:
- Have taught for at least two full years by June of the current school year
- Are contracted by a school to teach for the following year
- Are US citizens or permenant resident aliens
- Have health insurance coverage during their time at the Lab
- Workforce Development & Education interns are not allowed to take classes while participating in the program.
Please note: it is Workforce Development & Education policy that interns of Lab relatives may not be placed in same division as Lab relative.
Note: Dates applicable to Berkeley Lab only; dates on IISME website may differ.
- Applications available: TBD
- Applications Due:
- Program Dates:
LBNL is not offering IISME at this time.
- Scientists review applications and select a participant based on their needs.
- Please note that selection and placements start well ahead of the application deadline. Apply early to increase your chances of being selected.
- Complete the full eight week program (approx. 40 hrs/wk), with no time off from start to finish (excluding weekends and Lab holidays)
- Workforce Development & Education interns can not take classes (including online) while participating in the program.
- Attend mandatory meetings
- Design and implement an Education Transfer Plan to apply summer experience
- Carry out responsibilities as articulated by Mentor
- Participate in a Poster Session