CCI (Community College Internship)
- The program seeks to encourage community college students to enter technical careers relevant to the DOE mission by providing 10-week internships at one of 15 DOE Laboratories.
- Interns work on technologies or instrumentation projects or major research facilities related to DOE’s ongoing R&D programs, under the guidance of laboratory staff scientists or engineers.
- The CCI program is sponsored and managed by the DOE Office of Science’s Office of Workforce Development for Teachers and Scientists (WDTS) in collaboration with the DOE National Laboratories.
- Applications for the CCI program are solicited annually for the Summer Term.
- $500/wk (10 wks) Stipend $5,000
- $1500Housing supplement
- Travel supplement if permanent address is at least 50 miles from the Lab.
For more information, see the DOE website.
- Must be currently enrolled as a full-time student at a community college or accredited two-year college and completed at least one semester at the time of applying.
- Must have completed at least 6 credit hours in science, mathematics, engineering, or technology course areas, and completed at least 12 credits hours towards a degree.
- Must have an undergraduate cumulative minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for all completed courses as a matriculating student.
- Must be 18 years or older at the time the internship begins.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident at the time of applying.
- Must have earned a high school diploma or GED equivalent at the time of applying. Proof of an earned High School diploma or of passing all five GED tests required should be provided on the applicant’s undergraduate transcripts.
- Applicants are limited to participation in CCI program to no more than two internships.
- Applicants can apply to the CCI program a maximum of three times.
- Participants must have medical insurance during their time at the Lab.
- Workforce Development & Education interns are not allowed to take classes while participating in the program.
Please note: it is Workforce Development & Education policy that interns of Lab relatives may not be placed in same division as Lab relative.
- Program Dates:
1 Jun - 7 Aug 2015
- Applications Open:
16 October 2014
- Applications Due:
9 January 2015
- Last Day Offers Made:
13 March 2015
- Scientists review applications and select a participant based on their needs.
- Please note that selection and placements start well ahead of the application deadline.
- Apply early to increase your chances of being selected.
- Complete the full ten week program (approx. 40 hrs/wk), with no time off from start to finish (excluding weekends and Lab holidays)
- Workforce Development & Education interns can not take classes (including online) while participating in the program.
- Attend all scheduled events including lectures, tours and group activities.
- Make a poster presentation and submit a 6-8 page Research Report Project on the outcome of CCI-related project activities.
- Complete entrance and exit surveys
- Complete all LBNL safety and procedural requirements
- Must behave in a responsible and professional manner.
- When acknowledging WDTS support, please use the following statement - "This work was supported in part by the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Science, Office of Workforce Development for Teachers and Scientists (WDTS) under the Community College Internship (CCI) program."