Berkeley Lab Adventure Zone in Elementary Science
BLAZES is a 3-hour workshop held on-site that provides hands-on activities, a research lab tour, and talks from scientist volunteers to Bay Area 5th grade classes.
- participate in group hands-on activities
- investigate the Periodic Table
- interact with scientists
- learn about careers in science, engineering and technology
- visit a laboratory to see powerful imaging instruments used in research
- see a liquid nitrogen demonstration explaining concepts in earlier activities
View a sample agenda of a typical visit
- Fifth grade school classes in Alameda and Contra Costa Counties
- Target audiences are public schools from the Berkeley, Emeryville, Oakland and West Contra Costa districts
- One adult chaperone required for each eight students, with a maximum of six adults
- Class or group size limited to 32 students and six adults
- Requests accepted:
- Visits begin: 5 October
- Visits end: 3rd week of May
Requesting a Visit
All visits must be requested electronically, using the following links.
If you are in one of our target districts, please click on your district name to check available dates and submit a visit request form. Please note: we will not process requests submitted through the following links from schools outside of these districts:
- Berkeley Unified School District (BUSD)
- Oakland Unified School District (OUSD)
- West Contra Costa Unified School District (WCCUSD)
- If your district is not listed above, but is in Alameda or Contra Costa Counties, please click here for available dates.