Leading for Results
Instructor Contact Information
Successful supervisors know how to adapt their leadership styles to best motivate and support employees. In this one-day course, you’ll:
- Determine your natural leadership style
- Find out about other leadership styles that may be useful to you
- Learn to identify which style to use based on employee needs
- Become more comfortable using various leadership styles with your employees
Participants: This course is designed for individuals in leadership roles, including both scientific and operations supervisors.
Leading for Results will introduce you to Situational Leadership II, a tool you can use to identify which leadership style to use given an employee’s level of knowledge, skills, motivation and confidence about a certain goal or task. Originally developed by Ken Blanchard at Ohio University in 1968 and featured in his classic book, The One-Minute Manager, this tool has endured over the years due to its success across a broad range of cultures, languages, and geographies.
Course activities will include:
- Taking a survey to discover your leadership style and determine its effectiveness in various situations
- Working through a variety of case studies so you can learn to diagnose which style works best in a given situation
- Participating in team exercises to practice using a variety of styles
- Mapping out future conversations with your employees to apply the best leadership style
The instructor is Shelley Webb Surh, a certified Situational Leadership II facilitator with extensive experience in designing and conducting a broad range of leadership training programs.